Frederick W. Haussmann
owner/proprietor of Haussmann's Pharmacy
SE corner 6th Street & Girard Avenue
This biography is transcribed from the book Philadelphia World’s Medical Centre by word and picture. [Philadelphia: ca.1930]. The page number listed if from the above named book.
Forty-Eight years ago, a little German family consisting of father, mother and four boys came to America – the land of untold wealth and opportunity. Six months later, the father died. Alone with her four boys, the mother struggled on, through hardship and privation, to supply the needs of er family. A few years later the oldest boy, then about 14, wandered into a pharmacy at Fourth and Noble Streets, Philadelphia, and asked for a “job.” This boy was Frederick W. Haussmann.
From apprentice boy to Master of Pharmacy, Frederick W. Haussmann mounted the ladder of success. He decided to study pharmacy while in the employ of Christian Weiss at the southwest corner of Sixth and Girard Avenue. In 1889, he graduated from Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and became so devoted to his profession that, after many years of faithful and untiring service, his empolyer gave him part ownership in the store. In 1918, Weiss’ Pharmacy became Haussmann’s Pharmacy, due to the death of Mr. Weiss in October of that year.
Under the leadership of Frederick W. Haussmann, the little old-fashioned drug store with its red and green globes became transformed into a modern pharmacy. Realizing the need of large quarters, Mr. Haussmann purchased three stores at the southeast corner of Sixth and Girard Avenue. Modern in all details and equipped with the finest stock of crude drugs and herbs, he spared no expense in making this a truly ethical pharmacy. No soda fountain, candy department or cigar cases dominate the atmosphere of Haussmann’s Pharmacy. Biologicals are properly cared for by means of electric refrigeration. Prescriptions are compounded by competent, accurate pharmacists. Frederick W. Haussmann established an ethical pharmacy for the community and a spotless reputation for himself.
In June, 1929, the College of Pharmacy conferred upon him the degree of Master of Pharmacy. In July, 1929, after a very short illness, his busy career came to an end. His death was mourned by thousands who knew and loved him. The memory of his many kind deeds and high ideals will live in the hearts of his associates forever.
As a lasting tribute to their departed employer, the personnel of Haussmann’s Pharmacy will carry on the noble work which he began. The pharmacy at Sixth and Girard Avenue will continue in his name and in his honor, under the guidance of his principles and noble ideals.